Wednesday, July 8
thankful

["Lord, please hurry and perform a miracle and heal my legs to their original state"]

we were chit-chatting in Bio today about how sometimes we forget to realise how lucky we are....we compare ourselves to those who are better-off than us, and think to ourselves "why can't i be like that?" or "why do they get it so easy?" or "I wish i was as rich as them".

What we don't realise is that although we're not as well-off as some, there are others who are in even worse conditions than we are....others who drew a shorter stick, others who were born in less fortunate circumstances....

I'm not just talking about the poor souls in Africa, i'm talking about friends, classmates, schoolmates who live among us....
we were sharing stories this morning about our childhood...and i was mildly surprised to hear agnes' story, whom i always imagined was quite well off....she told us about how she first started working when she was 10, selling and delivering luches to shops all over Parksons...she told us how she and her brothers used to travel to school on their father's motocycle, and she told us how mean the other kids were to her and how they looked down and teased her....

And her story made me realise, eventhough i grew up with a military dad, who is still super strict, i never had to work, i never had to pay my own school fees, i was never teased by my classmates because i was poor.....

I realise now how well my dad brought me up.
He set a bedtime ever since i was young, so i now have the habit of getting 8 hours sleep per night, and waking up fresh and able to pay full attention in class...He never gave me pocket money unless i earned it by washing his car..it's made me value the money i earn even more...He kept me away from boys, so i haven't been cheated or had my heart broken...He only buys me presents on special occasions like Christmas and my birthday, so i know better than to ask for this and that when he takes me out...When i'm in trouble, he doesn't shout or cane me, but the disappointment and fury in his voice is enough to make me cry with guilt for what i've done...
so, yeah... our chat today with ms may really made me realise a lot...


k@ly$hA @ 1:00 PM